« Back to job list
pFriem Family Brewers is looking for an outstanding Sous Chef to join our kitchen team! We are located on the banks of the Columbia River in Hood River, Oregon. We serve a New American style menu that combines global influence with local and regional inspiration. We serve high quality and innovative European and NW inspired beers, and the kitchen strives to match that excellence and experience in the food.
Responsible for overseeing all kitchen employees and functions as assigned by Head Chef including but not limited to: food purchasing, preparation, maintenance of quality standards, sanitation and cleanliness, training of employees in: methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, and portion control. Sous Chefs will contribute to month-end data gathering and reporting, including accurate and legible inventory. Finally, Sous Chefs will assist in upholding general respect for the company, its policies, and reputation in the community.
- Maintain professionalism of one’s self, and maintain the professionalism of the kitchen as defined by the Head Chef.
- Assist in cultivating the desired workplace culture and atmosphere as defined by the Head Chef.
- Consistently exercise, and enforce all hourly staff in, adherence to all: SOPs, PSOPs, Cleaning Checklists,
- Opening/closing Checklists, Par Sheets, and any other system passed down from the Chef on a daily basis.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel, and guests.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
- Provide flexible schedule availability as necessary based on the nature of a restaurant, which includes: AM or PM shifts, holidays, and/or weekends. Should possess the self-organization to communicate scheduling needs to Head Chef with ample notice.
- Be ready and willing to positively and enthusiastically fill any role in the kitchen as needed based on staff levels, business levels, and call-outs.
- Be able to maintain a reliable method of communication when present, or not present in the restaurant.
- Be able to maintain a professional relationship with members of staff both inside, and outside the workplace.
- Be able to gain the respect of staff by leading by example in all capacities.
- Be willing to maintain transparency and honesty with all members of management team in all professional matters.
- Monitor, demonstrate, and enforce appropriate sanitation practices.
- Monitor plating and flavor/quality actively throughout service, and coach in the moment to immediately correct any discrepancy.
- Enforce the use of portion control tools and practices to assist in food cost
- Ensure consistent productivity from all hourly employees, and delegate tasks as appropriate based on prioritization.
- Ensure product deliveries are placed in the appropriate storage area upon delivery, and are stewarded within one hour of delivery without exception.
- Taste prep projects, line pick-ups, and evaluate quality of hot-held items as they are completed and adjust as needed,
- Monitor cooling, and methods of cooling used by self and hourly staff for safety and DOH adherence.
- Monitor proper arrangement of potentially hazardous foods (placement of meats, poultry, fish, cooked and raw, in relation to ready-to-eat foods).
- As necessary, provide coaching and guidance to hourly employees in a calm and professional manner.
- Create a daily report for the Head Chef including but not limited to the following: Shortages/Overages of ordered product, staff issues, service issues, prep issues, prep needs, maintenance issues/needs, & quality issues.
- Place timely, daily orders based on the guidelines set by the Head Chef for assigned vendors, product type/format/brand, and using the order guide as well as professional judgement to determine pars based on business volume and usage. Additionally, communicate with the Chef any need for updates on the Order Guide.
- Monitor waste and record waste actively to report to Head Chef
- Actively seek out inspiration, and work with Chef to develop dishes and specials, and endeavor to contribute to the menu as a whole.
- As outlined above, enforce adherence to all systems and SOPs provided by Head Chef, but also collaborate/take initiative to develop systems to present to Head Chef for approval. Endeavor to contribute improvements of daily operations.
- Evaluate talent and professional potential of hourly employees for consideration of role assignment or promotion.
- Competitive Pay - Salary
- Beer account privileges – hourly accrued amount
- On-shift meal discounts
- Discounts on food, beer, and merchandise
- Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- 401(k) option, with employer match
pFriem (pronounced “freem”) artisanal beers are symphonies of flavor and balance, influenced by the great brewers of Europe, but unmistakably true to our homegrown roots in the Pacific Northwest. We are guided by a religious commitment to quality and the never-ending pursuit of innovation. Although they are served humbly, each glass is overflowing with pride and a relentless aspiration to brew the best beer in the world.
pFriem Family Brewers has experienced incredible growth in the past eight years and has earned prestigious awards, including being named GABF® 2018 Mid-Size Brewing Company of the Year, Three-Time Brewery of the Year by the Beer Connoisseur, Best Brewpub Experience by Oregon Beer Awards, and numerous medals in national and international brewing competitions.
Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your consideration, we look forward to hearing from you. Cheers from Team pFriem!