« Back to job list
pFriem Family Brewers is looking for an outstanding Sous Chef to join our kitchen team!
pFriem is a four-time Best Brewpub Experience winner at the Oregon Beer Awards and is a constantly growing company.
pFriem is located on the banks of the Columbia River in Hood River, Oregon. We serve a New American style menu that combines global influence with local and regional inspiration. We serve high quality and innovative European and NW inspired beers, and the kitchen strives to match that excellence and experience in the food.
A successful Sous Chef candidate will be ready to help the pFriem kitchen continue growing, provide their own creativity to the menu, and bring proven staff and kitchen management skills to the table. An ideal candidate has a career path in the restaurant industry with ambitions for continued upward growth.
Working with the Chef and fellow Sous Chefs to improve quality, efficiency, and consistency of the whole guest experience. Ensuring that daily operations and standards are continued and upheld in the absence of the Head Chef. Being ready and willing to fill any role with positivity and a “lead by example” approach. An appreciation of beer, experience thoughtfully cooking with beer, and an understanding of food and beverage pairings are a plus.
- Maintains a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen. Demonstrates this by example, using proper food-handling and cooling techniques.
- Works with Leads to ensure stations are ready for service before and during business hours.
- Verifies that kitchen staff follows all recipes and portions servings correctly
- Ensures all areas impacted by the kitchen are clean and organized
- Places food and supply orders as instructed, using the tools provided
- Sets excellent customer service and work example
- Takes preemptive steps to ensure staffing levels are adequate
- Work towards a low waste kitchen operation
- Provides significant culinary contributions in terms of creativity, food quality, and execution
- Feels confident conducting pre-shift meetings with the front-of-house to communicate specials, menu changes, or general notes about the kitchen
- Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the chef at any time
- Relevant College or Culinary Certification, and/or extensive cooking and production experience
- Minimum of three consecutive years of kitchen experience
- Minimum one year as a line cook in a high-volume, multi-station, a la carte kitchen
- Minimum of two years in a leadership role, with a developing philosophy of employee management and guidance
- Awareness of local, state and federal health and sanitation laws
- Understanding of proper use and maintenance of major kitchen equipment, including stoves/ovens, refrigeration equipment, industrial mixers, deli slicers, knives, and dish machines
- Ability to take direction, positive receptiveness to coaching, and a desire to learn different approaches
- Overall passion for food and culinary culture, and a desire to pass that along to those newly entering the restaurant industry
- 90% of the time standing.
- Direct contact with guests, managers, and employees
- Behaves professionally and can be flexible in a changing environment
- Must be able to carry loads greater than 35 pounds, and be able to transport up to 70 pounds regularly
- Travel may be required for occasional deliveries, visits to other locations, or company meetings
- Excellent attendance is required
This is an hourly position, requiring 40 hours per week, with competitive pay based upon experience. Other benefits include: beer benefits, health care insurance, 401(k), and three weeks paid vacation accrued annually.
Please email email@example.com with your cover letter and resume.